Personal Co-location Registry

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Mar 21 00:49:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:02:37PM -0800, Micah McNelly wrote:

> You could use dual vertical PDU's with serial management connected to a 1u
> serial console / KVM solution. There are a few vendors working on PDU's with
> IP / SNMP based management solutions but I don't think they have been
> introduced into the marketplace.  Something like this could work:
>
> http://www.servertech.com/prod/remote%20power/rpm_ptxl_index.html
>
> It looks like the vertical version has a daughter mod that will allow remote
> management.  Maximum of 32 AC interfaces per cab.

32 AC interfaces sounds like a pretty bad idea for the common 20A feeds
available at most colos, and not smart for 40 1U servers even with 30A
feeds.

I find the BayTech RPC27 to be a reasonable solution, using 2x for a rack
full of 1U's. If you get custom length power cables made, and interspace
power connections from multiple servers, the logistics can be decent too.
It's unfortunate that BayTech's pinout for serial console stuff is only
slightly less evil than satan, but their power systems are nice.