Personal Co-location Registry

Adam Rothschild asr+nanog at latency.net
Sun Mar 21 00:40:42 UTC 2004

On 2004-03-20-18:42:10, Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net> wrote:
> If someone is doing this, especially wrt to 1U servers, perhaps
> someone could provide a pointer to a reboot solution that would
> allow a single reboot device to control 42+ 1Us in a single
> rack. From my occasional interest in this area, I've seen lots of
> reboot solutions. Most of them take as many as 4-10 U to reboot 40
> machines, which sort of obviates the need to reboot 40 machines in a
> single rack in the first place. Unless you use 10ft racks, I guess.

You could do this with a combination of two vertically mounted BayTech
RPC27[1] units per rack, and one Cisco 3640 w/ 3 * NM-32A and 1 *
NM-1E2W's (and the appropriate octal -> RJ45 serial cables and DCE
headshells) split between two racks.  This would provide you with
effectively 44 serial console ports (not counting the 2 per rack
burned on the BayTech units) and 42 remotely controllable outlets at a
space penalty of only 1U per rack.  I'm doing something similar right
now...

-a

[1] <http://www.baytechdcd.com/cgi-private/prodlist?show=RPC27>