Personal Co-location Registry

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 18 17:25:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Kelly Setzer wrote:

> > >http://www.realweasel.com/ is your friend.  (isc has about a dozen of 'em.)
> > >

> > Realweasel is a great idea if you can afford it -- but the PCI version
> > lists for $350, which is as expensive as some used 1U servers on EBay.
>
> Is there an effective alternative?  All the intel "servers" these days
> seem to have one of those handy-dandy (note: sarcasm) ethernet ports
> variously called "integrated lights-out (ILO)" or "lights-out
> management (LOM)", etc.
>
> I am dismayed that intel-based server vendors haven't noticed the
> decades-old trend of having serial ports for emergency/remote access.

serial ports work fine for pc consoles in general, once your bootloader
takes over you can display pretty much everything over there... some
vendors provide options to map the bios display on the serial ports
(supermicro) it's doesn't work for the bioses of some raid controllers
however, a pc-weasel will handle that condition fine,and the pc-weasel can
also do a hardware re-set of the whole machine to restart a hung box...
They don't work so well if you only have one pci slot which you need for a
raid controller or if as I found out recently someone reconfigures the
terminal server and inadvertantly locks you out when you need it most.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu