Personal Co-location Registry

TxRx Lists lists at txrx.org
Thu Mar 18 05:36:02 UTC 2004

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> One thing you may want to devote a bit more text to:  what are typical
> provisions for remote hands at these places?

I agree, lack of interactive access to a system prior to a functional OS
being loaded always seemed like a potential problem area to me,
particularly for something based on common PC architecture.

I looked a bit deeper in to 1&1's offering (link on Paul's site) and it
seems like they have a good setup- instant reboot of a system from a web
interface, and also the ability to start some sort of remote recovery
tool enabling file system checks and complete system recovery if necessary.

The main thing that's always put me off paying for colocation is the
threat of attacks against the system, and not so much the integrity of
the data (because obviously I wouldn't keep anything important on it)
but more the bandwidth liability. 1&1 state clearly that they account
for every byte to/from the NIC so just one unfortunate packet flood
could see me paying a lot more than their reasonable monthly fee...

Chris
--
Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.