Update on Querying IADB

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. amitchell at isipp.com
Wed Mar 17 20:50:32 UTC 2004

> > 127.3.100.3		 Accepts unverified sign-ups, gives chance to opt out
>
> > 127.3.100.5		 Has opt-in confirmation mechanism
> > 127.3.100.6		 Has and uses opt-in confirmation mechanism
>
> > 127.3.100.10		 All mailing list mail is confirmed opt-in
>
> Hmm.. this is loads of fun if you're running a Listserv that has
> several thousand lists defined, and not all of them have the same
> policies (for instance, although the vast majority of our lists are
> 'confirmed opt-in', we have several lists that are bulk-loaded with
> database extracts for "captive audience" lists such as "all freshmen",
> "all grad students", and so on).

In a case like this we would list any IPs from which *only* come
confirmed lists separately, so that they would get the 127.3.100.10
listing.  Otherwise we would look at the lowest common denominator
and use that data code response.

> Also, the pricing seems a bit whacked - are you *really* expecting
> sites that have less than 30 customers to pay $200/month?  I know a
> *lot* of people who have formed collectives of 10-15 people who chip
> in and get a 1U at a colo....

I've already answered this on the fly, separately, but it bears
repeating.  If you are talking about non-commercial mailing lists,
that would probably qualify for the newsletter publisher rate, which
is only $10/month.

It's also critical that people understand that you are now talking
about *being listed* in IADB, not about querying IADB, which is
always free (We've heard from at least one list member who thought
these rates being talked about were to *query* the list).

> It's totally unclear how you can encode an "individual" listing - that
> whole "stuff to the left of the @ sign" thing is rather unhandy...

Are you asking about "is there a data response code for "individual"?
 There *could* be, but we determined that in the scheme of things
which most receiving systems care about, it doesn't matter.  What
matters is the type of mail they send.

Anne