Firewall opinions wanted please

Rachael Treu rara at navigo.com
Wed Mar 17 20:50:31 UTC 2004

Guys...firewall is as generic a term as any.  Saying grandma needs a
router does not mean that an M20 is interchangeable with her Linksys.

The definition of firewall[1]:
1. A fireproof wall used as a barrier to prevent the spread of fire.
2. Computer Science. Any of a number of security schemes that prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to a computer network or that monitor transfers of information to and from the network.

By that rationale, firewall includes ACLs, filtering, and the umpteen
built-in apps that ship standard with home CPE/routers that _call
themselves_ firewall software.

I am absolutely talking access control.  Not about an HA Netscreen500
pair with VRRP off redundant switch fabric and H.323 support.

As for your cost commentary, you are absolutely right.  I said grandma
needs a firewall, not that she has one or will buy one.  That is the
unfortunate disparity between prudence and practical application.

--ra

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=firewall

k. rachael treu, CISSP       rara at navigo.com
..quis costodiet ipsos custodes?..