Firewall opinions wanted please

Rachael Treu rara at navigo.com
Wed Mar 17 17:07:42 UTC 2004

Netscreen rocks.  They are record-breakingly sexy devices running the gamut
as far as networks they can be configured to service and they burlier beasties
are easily worthy of deployment on a carrier class network.

However, if you're looking to drop small change on a product that will not
be required to withstand the rigors of VPN termination, HA, VRRP, blah
blah blah, and you are trying to cover basic, fundamental firewalling
(port filtering is a very base feature and should open the doors to many
other vendors if that's truly the brunt of what you are trying to achieve),
then take a gander at PIX.  Or even Raptor or Checkpoint.  All 3 are old
standbys that have seen their days being equally celebrated as leaders
and mourned as losers.

boa sorte,
--ra

k. rachael treu, CISSP       rara at navigo.com