Firewall opinions wanted please - clarification

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Wed Mar 17 03:49:05 UTC 2004

You mean _PROTOCL HANDELING_, I believe.

I do not know, why people are paying so much attention to it.  Important
questions are:

- which services are you providing for the public?
- who will handle all your SSL sessions, if any (may be, Load Balancers?
Then you do not bother about FW proxy for them);
- who will handle all http requests (yes, proxy can help here, but it is not
the only way);
- who will inspect mail content (not SMTP protocol, but attachments etc)?
- who will handle your ssh sessions, if you have inbound shh?
- who will handle your inbound VPN or PPTP, if you use it?
- are DDOS attacks dangerous for you (you host SCO, for example) or not (you
provide specific servic for 100 companies, not for wide public);
- do you use host level IDS / change control?

PIX is excellent firewall... for many purposes, but not for others (and not
as a proxy, of course). It is impossible to select anything without knowing
answers on this questions...

AlexeiRoudnev