Stateful Ethernet Bridging and it's effect on overall Internet topology.

Gregory Taylor greg at xwb.com
Tue Mar 16 20:51:43 UTC 2004

I agree, however there are some implementations of this type of bridging that 'routing' would not be a good substitute for.  Say mangling traffic going outbound for compression purposes (A La Redline (Yes I know redline does proxying and not bridging)).  I guess my best question would be, is there a solution to the problem.  Maybe a possible way of bridging the traffic without polluting the world with unnecessary broadcasts of MAC addresses and over-head ethernet frames.  (Is there a way to strip that garbage from the outbound traffic generated by the bridge).

Greg

From: "Wayne E. Bouchard" <web at typo.org>
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:49:38 -0700