Load Balancing Multiple DS3s (outgoing) on a 7500

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Tue Mar 16 15:32:57 UTC 2004

Hi Drew -

We have 6 backbones distributed across two 7507s and we messed around
with a lot of different ways to make this happen. MEDs, Weights, manual
BGP configurations every time one of the connections would get
overloaded (even at 2am), you name it - we tried it, and in the end we
determined that we needed something that could keep an eye on everything
and do it automatically within guidelines I had set.

In the end, we headed the route of performance-based routing
optimization hardware. After testing many different vendors, we choose
the RouteScience PathControl box to make my life (as well as the life of
my lead backbone engineer) much, much simpler.

About a month or two ago, there was quite a discussion on
route-optimization hardware on the list including a lot of different
ideas.

If you do a search on the list for RouteScience or route optimization,
you should hit the core of the discussion around the different platforms.

If you need more info, feel free to contact me off-list.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:39:16 -0500
Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:

>             Does anyone know of an article, or documentation regarding load
> balancing the traffic on 3 or more FastEthernet interfaces on the outgoing
> direction? Right now we're running BGP internally, and the routes that are
> being chosen based upon the final BGP decision step or what I like to call
> the 'IP address tie breaker' which is not always optimal. We have a cisco
> 7500 that is connected to 4 other Cisco 7500s which each have 45Mbps ds3s to
> the Internet, we would like to load balance the outgoing traffic across all
> 4 of these 7500s, can anyone shine any advice my way? I noticed that there
> are instructions on Cisco's site regarding doing LB on 12000s.
>

> Anyways thanks in advance ;-)
>

> -Drew

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."