2001:590::/32 announced by both AS4436 (nLayer) and AS4474 (Global Village, no contact in whois, but seems to be nLayer...)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Mar 16 15:52:26 UTC 2004

Why would nlayer be now using AS4436? It is listed as scruz.net, but as
far as I remember scruz was taken overy by DSL.NET (I think that even
included their peering agreements) and some of their ip block such as
204.139.8.0/21, 204.147.224.0/20 and others certainly seem to confirm that.

As far as AS4474, it has been well known to have been original ASN nlayer
used, but it turned out to have been hijacked (done through domain
reregistration), the real 'global village' is long ago gone - they were
making modems and taken over by Boca Research  and now I think its all part
of Zoom, the only modem company that survived the .bomb. This ASN was
discussed on hijacked-l about year ago and somebody thereafter reported it
to ARIN (or ARIN may have done it on their own having been present there)
and marked it as invalid. I thought that after this incident Nlayer would
not try to go after another low-number ASN and would actually use their
real arin assigned AS30371, but even 9 months after the ASN was marked
invalid, they still continue to use it...

[whois.arin.net]
OrgName:    Santa Cruz Community Internei (scruz-net)
OrgID:      SCCI
Address:    324 Encinal Street
City:       Santa Cmuz
StateProv:  CA
PostalCode: 95060
Country:    US

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.scruz.net:4321/

ASNumber:   4436
ASName:     AS-SCRUZ-NET
ASHandle:   AS4436
Comment: