iMPLS benefit

Yakov Rekhter yakov at juniper.net
Mon Mar 15 18:26:39 UTC 2004

Mark,

> Please see inline.

in-line...

> >>The only multi-vendor interoperable mode of GRE that I am aware of requires
> >>manual provisioning of point-to-point GRE tunnels between MPLS networks and
> >>to each and every IP-only reachable PE.
> >

> > I guess you are *not* aware of the Redback implementation of 2547
> > over GRE, as this implementation is (a) available today, (b)
> > interoperable with other implementations of 2547 over GRE, and (c)
> > does *not* require manual provisioning of point-to-point GRE tunnels
> > between MPLS networks and to each and every IP-only reachable PE.
> >
> > And, just for the record, (stating the obvious) I don't work for Redback.
>
> Are you referring to draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-03.txt? (Just
> guessing as the principal author used to work for Redback). Thanks for the
> update, I was in fact not aware that companies other than Redback had
> implemented it. You didn't name those companies, but I will happily stand
> corrected here.

No, I was *not* referring to draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-03.txt.
Redback's implementation that does not require manual provisioning of
point-to-point GRE tunnels between MPLS networks and to each and every
IP-only reachable PE is *purely* an implementation matter, and does *not*
require any new communities and/or attributes.

> In any case, the point I was trying to make was that there is more than
> one way to do "MPLS over GRE" and that they are not all necessarily
> interoperable as you seemed to imply in your message. You have helped
> to make that quite clear.
>
> >>The BGP extension defined in the draft below allows "iMPLS" for 2547
> >>VPN support without requiring any manually provisioned tunnels (and
> >>works for "mGRE" or L2TPv3).
> >>
> >>http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-01.txt
> >
> > The question to ask is whether the extension you mentioned above is
> > truly necessary for supporting 2547 over GRE. The Redback implementation
> > I mentioned above is an existence proof that the extension is *not*
> > necessary for 2547 over GRE that does *not* involve manually provisioned
> > GRE tunnels.
>
> Both draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-01.txt and
> draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-03.txt use BGP to advertise capabilities
> for carrying MPLS-labeled packets over various encapsulation types. Proof of

And *neither* of these are requires in order to avoid manual provisioning
of point-to-point GRE tunnels.

Yakov.