Platinum accounts for the Internet (was Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?)

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 15 15:35:16 UTC 2004

On 15 Mar 2004 08:01:15 -0500
"Robert E. Seastrom" <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> > Maybe NANOG needs to implement a system where you have to log
> > in to a web page with your NANOG meeting passcode in order to
> > get a usable IP address. Then, when an infected computer shows
[...]
> Seconded.  This is dirt simple to do.  If we believe in public
> humiliation, a list of infected machines and their owners (along with
[...]

In the case of some networks and some type of malware, you might need to
do more than this.  For example, if a compromised host continues to spew
out packets without a valid IP, this still eats link capacity.  If the
network is relatively flat, which is often is in wireless configurations,
you still have a problem to solve before normal access for everyone else
is restored.

John