Vincent Gillet - Opentransit vgi at zoreil.com
Mon Mar 15 10:00:33 UTC 2004

I was wondering :

> We recently installed 10GE interface on GSR boxes (Engine4+).
>
> I are experiencing a SNMP counter issue with 802.1q VLAN.
>
> We were used to have counters by 802.1q VLAN on GSR on 1GE, but it looks
> to be broken for 10GE subinterfaces.
>
> Counters are available by SNMP, but are buggy on Inbound.
>
> ifHCInUcastPkts is OK, but ifHCInOctets is not.
>
> Does anyone experienced such problem on 10GE with GSR ?
> Counters from physical interace are fine. We experiences this on
> SubInterfaces only.

Thanks to nanog community, i had positive feedbacks.

This is hardware limitation with 10GE cisco Card on GSR.
Since it look to be an ASIC issue, i do not expect to be fixed by
software !!

There is a workaround to get byte counter, but we have to disable packet
counter.

This is what we did and it works fine.

Details available on
	http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCea37857
(need CCO login)

Bottom line :
	Mind VLAN monitoring issues when using 10GE GSR LC.

Vincent.