who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

Ken Diliberto ken at kdmd.net
Mon Mar 15 07:24:41 UTC 2004

Andrew Dorsett wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>

>>Andrew Dorsett  [3/15/2004 9:52 AM] :
>>

>>>Well whats wrong with you setting up a small router and using one IP?  The
>>>crap I hear most of the time is that they want to only issue one ip per
>>
>>Nothing particularly wrong with it as long as there's some mechanism to
>>zero in on rooted / abused machines there.
>

> Exactly my point!  But so many universities and small ISPs are against it
> with a vengance.  Like I keep saying, they are sharing one wall portal. I
> know go to that keystone, find the hub and then go "Who's is this?"  Tell
> them to clean up their machine because its infected and give them what I
> know....ie: it was ip blah blah or sorry I can't tell you anything because
> it was coming through your NAT box and all I see is a single IP.
>
> Personally, shhh don't tell certain people who I know are lurking on this
> list :)  But I ran a NAT box with 4 machines at one point.  An XP box for
> my general use, an SGI box for development, a linux box for development,
> and another linux box acting as my ftp server.
>
> Andrew

Something else I just remembered:

Connecting so much equipment in our dorms creates a fire hazard.  The
are only two or three outlets (what I've been told) in a room shared by
two or three students.  Add to the computer equipment a TV, stereo, DVD
player, alarm clocks, cordless phones, etc., etc., etc. and you have the
makings for newspaper headlines.  Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge,
but it could and students don't consider these things.

Ken