who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Sun Mar 14 20:52:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

> sean at donelan.com (Sean Donelan) writes:
>
> > If the block list operators think it is a "dialup" range, they
> > pre-emptively block all the addresses in the range.
>
> providers who refuse to enter the "race to the bottom" can get their
> dialup blocks delisted from any blackhole list operator i know of,
> just by demonstrating clue and conviction.

There are several blacklists that clearly want more from the ISP than an
explanation that the offendors are being/were removed... one good example
is 'spews'.

> > It has very little to do with the quality of the ISP's abuse desk.
>
> long term, it does.  my sister is in sbc-dsl territory and before i
> linuxed her and tunneled her, i had a terrible time getting e-mail from
> her.  the /24 that her nat/dsl box got by dhcp had a dozen open proxies
> in it.  sbc's abuse desk sure as hell didn't want to hear from me about
> it and the owners of the infected pee cee's wouldn't've wanted to hear
> from me even if i'd had some way to identify them and offer them a free
> linux upgrade if they'd just open their front door and lead me to their
> pee cee.

As was pointed out to me by a co-worker: "Linux is not anymore inherently
secure than anyother OS." The difference really comes in the
administration of the pee cee. So, would upgrading joe-random-user to
Linux really make things better for them? (or us?) That is not clear at
all at this point.

Certianly the point central to your arguement is that with the right
abuse-desk to customer ratio AND the right customer base, things could be
kept clean for smtp/web/ftp/blah 'hosting'. This is most certainly the
case... I look forward to seeing your list of providers and prices :)

--Chris
(formerly chris at uu.net)
## UUNET Technologies, Inc.                          ##
## Manager                                           ##
## Customer Router Security Engineering Team         ##
## (W)703-886-3823 (C)703-338-7319                   ##