who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

Drew Linsalata drew at gothambus.com
Sun Mar 14 13:37:11 UTC 2004

> Why shouldn't an individual be able to operated a server on their DSL or
> cable modem connection?

Because DSL and cable moden networks have evolved into lowest-cost,
widest-reach service networks designed to allow anyone with $30 access
to a relatively fat pipe.  As a result those networks have turned into
rich sources of net garbage, and most clueful network operators have
taken to defending themselves against this torrent of silliness.

So, I suppose that the question is not so much of one being "allowed" to
run a server on an xDSL or cable link, but of the real world
effectiveness of doing so.

> Why prevent people from running servers on DSL
> and cable modem connections, yet say they could run an identical
> server in a colo?  Why is one unsafe, and the other is considered Ok?

Nothing is 100% safe, but I'd much rather accept unrestricted traffic
from a network with 1000 customers and 2 geek engineers than from a
network with 1,000,000 customers and 25 engineers on staff wading
through mountains of abuse reports.  At least at the smaller, more "geek
intensive" level, there is a greater ability to deal with mischief in a
timely and decisive fashion.

--

Drew Linsalata
The Gotham Bus Company, Inc.