who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

Andrew Dorsett zerocool at netpath.net
Sun Mar 14 06:42:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Sean Donelan wrote:

> line, then the question becomes should you be able to send mail
> directly from your home server with a static IP address on a DSL line
> until abused?  No need to buy another box, find a colo or figure out
> how to remotely administer another system or tunnel to it to send mail.

I think this is hinting at another larger issue.  The fact that so many
ISPs are filtering services and controlling what a user can and can't do.
I know several providers who block SMTP outbound at their border for
anything thats not their mail box or a registered mail host.  Sure this
stops spam complaints but if I'm paying for service I'm wanting raw
access, not some censored service.  I had major issues with a small ISP
who decided they would firewall all of their customers and
filter in/out ports.  It got to the point I couldn't even send or receive
files with individuals using that ISP.  Finally I ended up building a VPN
through their firewall to conduct business.

As far as SMTP goes, in the past I've allowed mail into my machine from
anywhere for my domain, then I'd relay my outbound mail through my
providers SMTP box just to bypass all the stupid blacklists.  I don't mind
the idea of having to register my servers with my isp or some future
regulatory board but that becomes rediculous when I'm constantly changing
my home network/lab.

Andrew
---
<zerocool at netpath.net>
http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."