Enterprise Multihoming

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 22:12:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> Most of the multi-homing talk has been about failover capabilities between
> different providers.  What about the effects of multiple providers when
> neither has actually failed; such as different paths for inbound/outbound
> traffic.  One provider may have better connectivity to x site whereas the
> other provider has better connectivity to y.  (Or is this not as important as
> it used to be?)

Capacity and congestion isnt a (big) issue with bandwidth and circuits being so
cheap, most corporates just need to know they can get their email and browse the
web and whether it takes 70 or 140ms for data to cross the atlantic providing it
pops up on their screen within a few seconds they're happy.

So in this way I think the answer to your question is its not important to most
multihomers but ymmv..

Steve