Load Balancing Multiple DS3s (outgoing) on a 7500

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Mar 13 03:27:28 UTC 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Drew Weaver wrote:

>             Does anyone know of an article, or documentation regarding
> load balancing the traffic on 3 or more FastEthernet interfaces on the
> outgoing direction? Right now we're running BGP internally, and the
> routes that are being chosen based upon the final BGP decision step or
> what I like to call the 'IP address tie breaker' which is not always
> optimal. We have a cisco 7500 that is connected to 4 other Cisco 7500s
> which each have 45Mbps ds3s to the Internet, we would like to load
> balance the outgoing traffic across all 4 of these 7500s, can anyone
> shine any advice my way? I noticed that there are instructions on
> Cisco's site regarding doing LB on 12000s.

Load balancing with BGP is the same on any cisco router.

Are you doing BGP with the routers on the other side of those DS3s?  If
you are, you will need their help in load balancing properly.  Get them
to allow you peering with a loopback interface and use equal cost
static routes to do the load balancing to that loopback interface.

--
TTFN,
patrick