wholesalebandwidth.com major sponsor of spammers refuses to accept email at abuse

just me matt at snark.net
Fri Mar 12 18:03:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Ricardo G Patara wrote:

  On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:59:01PM -0800, just me wrote:

  | Behind all of LACNIC's 200/8 and Iskimaro, whoever the heck they are!

  I'd say that it is not a wise thing to do, but it is up to you.

  Inside this /8 block there are a lot allocation to important networks
  in our region.
  There is also, users that send spam from these IPs, but I see this all
  the time from IP blocks of all over the world.

It is an effective solution in my specific application, with my set of
users. I have a 100% hit rate with no false positives. I am not
suggesting other folks do the same unless their requirements are also
the same. I certainly wouldn't do this at my day job as
postmaster at sony.com, for example.

  According to some statistics USA is one of the top in the list of
  spammers.
  Do you filter all American blocks in your network? I guess not. You
  wisely filter only some, like this 69.6.0.0/18.

I filter the blocks that I see a 1:0 spam to ham ratio from, wherever
they are located. I also try to aggregate where I can. The LACNIC
blocks were a convenient place to do so.

  Do you filter all Asia blocks? I guess not...

I certainly do filter abuseive asian networks, except for networks
that my users need connectivity to, or networks that I have not seen
abuse from:

http://mrtg.snark.net/blacklist.cgi

I think you'll see that there's no region singled out there. You might
also be forgetting that the reason I singled out the LACNIC blocks, is
that they are the third largest source of unwanted SMTP traffic I see.

I'm sorry if my actions have offended you, because there really is
nothing personal going on here, just pragmatism and a desire to
prevent as much spam as possible from reaching my users.

Matt Ghali
speaking as postmaster at snark.net only

   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>