Counter DoS

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 16:10:15 UTC 2004

> Fortunately people with less clue usually have less bandwidth. Obviously
> there are exceptions. I would expect to see localized tragedies if
> something like this would get deployed but predicting death of the
> internet is clueless.

Hmm thats little comfort if your sharing your cable modem PVC with one of these
bozos who goes and maxes out your shared 512k.

See thats the thing with DoS attacks, they cause problems for everyone not just
the target, from the users sharing with the source host(s) right thro the ISPs
carrying the traffic wondering why their usually quiet FE port just went 100% or
why their Cisco7200 has 100% CPU and dropped all its BGP and onto the users
sharing with the destination who now dont have any bandwidth available.

Steve