Enterprise Multihoming

Rob Nelson ronelson at vt.edu
Fri Mar 12 03:46:29 UTC 2004

>There are similar boxes from FatPipe and Radware (and others) that
>promise the same thing. I've done some light research on them and while
>I can see some positives, I don't prefer them to our current solution.
>
>Then again, I don't have any practical experience with them and I hope
>someone who has will chime in.

On the fatpipe side, I can chime in. I've worked with their Superstream
products. As with all products there are good points, but I have a LOT of
bad points for the Superstream. It starts with being based on Caldera
openlinux and a required Java interface for all management. I wouldn't use
this product again if I could help it.

They may have other products that work better, particularly in the case of
true multihoming (the superstream is really so a business can pay for two
DSL connections and get double the bandwidth) and such. If anyone wants
more details, let me know.