Enterprise Multihoming

John Dupuy jdupuy-list at socket.net
Thu Mar 11 20:49:56 UTC 2004

John

As already stated by lots of folks on the list, this is largely a business
decision rather than a technical one. However, there are some more useful
thoughts:

1. Is the decision to multi-home consistent with your other redundancy plans?

For example, why go through all the trouble of multi-homing and setting up
BGP, only for both circuits to be plugged into the same router? ..or, two
routers but neither of them on UPS.

This is akin to insisting on a Class A bank-grade firewall but not
bothering to put a lock on the server room door...

2. Multi-homing is usually considered critical when one is discussing
hosting of some kind. Could you be served with multiple servers in
geographically separate collocation centers inside one ASN?

While many MIS departments like to have direct access to their own servers,
this can often be an emotional preference rather than a technical one.
Often only the "public facing" servers need BGP redundancy. The back-ends
can be set up to fail-over to separate VPN/IPs in separate ASNs.

Having said all that, I prefer physical access to my machines too. So I'm a
hypocrite.

3. If you are not doing hosting, a two-ISP NAT solution may make more sense
than BGP. In addition to burdening the global routing tables; good BGP
management is expensive. It involves either hiring someone with the proper
expertise/experience or purchasing that expertise. Relatively speaking,
there are not a lot good experienced BGP admins out there.

4. What is the price of downtime, in real dollars? For many business, this
really can be estimated. Consider lost time (wages, utilities, etc.) and
lost sales. Then compare it to the various options.

Just my two cents,

John