Enterprise Multihoming

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Thu Mar 11 19:34:51 UTC 2004

Jay Ford wrote:
[snip]

> Many/most of my external connectivity problems are provider-related rather
> than circuit-related.  Having two circuits to a single provider doesn't help
> when that provider is broken.  I'm not saying that multi-ISP BGP-based
> multi-homing is risk-free, but I don't see multi-circuit single-provider as a
> viable alternative.

FWIW, I've had almost the exact opposite experience. Almost all of our
connectivity problems have been circuit issues. Two T1s to the same ISP
at one site has saved us from a lot of pain. OTOH, we also do have some
ISP diversity, though we haven't needed it nearly as much as redundant
circuits.

YMMV. HAND.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387