Enterprise Multihoming

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Thu Mar 11 18:31:52 UTC 2004

E.B. Dreger wrote:

>PH> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:21:03 +0200
>PH> From: Petri Helenius
>

>PH> Depending on your requirements, the option of having somebody
>PH> redistribute all their BGP routes into ISIS or OSPF might not
>PH> worth looking forward to.
>
>Couldn't quite parse this, but it sounds scary.

I´m refering to the most popular way of causing an IGP meltdown.
Obviously there are other ways, like software defects to make your IGP
go mad. But when your upstream´s IGP does that, you want to have
provider B to switch over to. It probably has gotten better when the
Internet has matured but a few years back when I was more involved in
day-to-day operations it was a few times a year when excersizing this
option was the best course of action.

Pete