Enterprise Multihoming

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Mar 11 17:34:51 UTC 2004

<On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Gregory Taylor wrote:
> Mutli-homing a non-ISP network or system on multiple carriers is a good
> way to maintain independent links to the internet by means of different
> peering, uplinks, over-all routing and reliability.  My network on NAIS
> is currently multi-homed through AT&T.  I use a single provider as both
> of my redundant links via 100% Fiber network.  Even though this is
> cheaper for me, all it takes is for AT&T to have some major outage and I
> will be screwed.  If I have a backup fiber line from say, Global
> Crossing, then it doesn't matter if AT&T takes a nose dive, I still have
> my redundancy there.

Well, I think this, in many cases, boils down to being able to pick
the right provider.

I mean, some providers go belly-up from time to time.  Others are
designed/run better.

For a major provider, complete outage of all of its customers is such
a big thing they'll want to avoid it always.  If it happens, for a
brief moment, once in five years (for example), for most companies
that's an acceptable level of risk.