Enterprise Multihoming

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Mar 11 17:27:29 UTC 2004

Hello;

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 12:10 PM, John Neiberger wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I'm glad that I got some
> opinions here before I proceeded. I also participate in another list
> that has some fairly experienced people on it. They prevailing opinion
> there was that multihoming to multiple providers was overrated and
> largely unnecessary, and they just about had me convinced.

Let me guess - they are with big providers ?

I keep track of new ASN's appearing in BGP - of the last few thousand
or so, the number that do not appear to be small multi-homers is about
1 in 500. (The metric is, no transit prefixes and only 1 or 2 small
prefixes announced in BGP.)

That does not prove they are correct, but a lot of people
clearly are of this opinion.

> My current opinion is that since we can't accept much downtime in the
> case of a single provider failure, it's probably not wise to put all of
> our eggs in Sprint's basket even if all circuits are geographically
> diverse.
>
> Thanks again,
> John
> --