Counter DoS

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Mar 11 07:43:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Gregory Taylor wrote:

> After reading that article, if this product really is capable of
> 'counter striking DDoS attacks', my assumption is that it will fire
> packets back at the nodes attacking it.  Doing such an attack would not
> be neither feasible or legal.  You would only double the affect that the
> initial attack caused to begin with, plus you would be attacking hacked
> machines and not the culprit themselves, thus pouring gasoline all over
> an already blazing inferno.

On the other hand, they could become immensely popular, reaching the
critical mass when one of them detects what is interpreted as an attack
from a network protected by another.  Grab the popcorn and watch as they
all bludgeon each other to death.  :-)

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/