Source address validation (was Re: UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS)

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Sun Mar 7 07:06:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:39:21PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Source address validation (or Cisco's term uRPF) is perhaps more widely
> deployed than people realize.  Its not 100%, but what's interesting is
> despite its use, it appears to have had very little impact on DDOS or
> lots of other bad things.

Try saying that after running a major DDoS target, with "HIT ME" your
forehead.
No offense Sean but I'd like you to back your claim up with some
impirical data first.
>From experience the majority of TCP based denial of service attacks
(which usually seem to be balanced with UDP, but ICMP is not as frequent
as it once was), use spoofed sources.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator