"Information Warfare"

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sun Mar 7 01:03:42 UTC 2004

At 12:32 PM 3/6/2004, Brian Bruns wrote:
>Lovely.  So not only do we now have to fend off attacks from script kiddies
>and packet monkies, we now have to fend off attacks from idiot sysadmins who
>set this tool up and allow it to go all out on supposed 'attacks' against
>their systems.

I think the company's name Symbiot, which is apparently a witty contraction
of two English words, says it all:

Main Entry: sym·bi·o·sis
Pronunciation: "sim-bE-'O-s&s, -"bI-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural sym·bi·o·ses  /-"sEz/
Etymology: New Latin, from German Symbiose, from Greek symbiOsis state of
living together, from symbioun to live together, from symbios living
together, from syn- + bios life -- more at QUICK
1 : the living together in more or less intimate association or close union
of two dissimilar organisms
2 : the intimate living together of two dissimilar organisms in a mutually
beneficial relationship; especially : MUTUALISM
3 : a cooperative relationship (as between two persons or groups) <the
symbiosis... between the resident population and the immigrants -- John Geipel>
- sym·bi·ot·ic  /-'ä-tik/ adjective
- sym·bi·ot·i·cal·ly  /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Main Entry: id·i·ot
Pronunciation: 'i-dE-&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French ydiote, from Latin idiota
ignorant person, from Greek idiOtEs one in a private station, layman,
ignorant person, from idios one's own, private; akin to Latin suus one's
own -- more at SUICIDE
1 usually offensive : a person affected with idiocy
2 : a foolish or stupid person
- idiot adjective

It is apparently a system to allow idiots to live together with other
idiots. I'm assuming that one of the idiots is the device manufacturer and
the other is the customer. :)

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey