dealing with w32/bagle

Curtis Maurand curtis at maurand.com
Fri Mar 5 03:35:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

> Jeff Shultz wrote:
>
> > ** Reply to message from "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr."
> > <LarrySheldon at cox.net> on Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:04:44 -0600
> >

> > Okay, so what are several ways to share files with a friend, where you
> > don't share any accounts or passwords, and where only your friend will
> > be able to access them?

 [snip]

> Actually FTP can be made secure.
>
> That and all of the other ideas I might propose require some development
> work and some change of attitudes.
>
> Here is the answer igave in private email to fundentally the same
> question:
>
> quote

[snip]
> E realizes that persons G and H need to be at that meeting and
> "forwards" the message _and_the_document_ to them.  (In one case in my
> past, "G" was the last person in Creation that should have gotten the
> document early.)
>
> If the message is stored under PKI with A's key all of that and the
> system overhead goes away.
>
> There are others.
> unquote

But nothing that's been developed.  Joe user's ip address changes on a
regular basis.  One would still need to find that machine.  DNS gets
cached (some go past TTL's I've set.)  and is too static to be an
effective means to get a file.

Most instant messengers have facilities for exchanging files, but both
sides need to be connected at the same time.  Having that file in an email
is better.

I like SCP, too.  It works well, so well that I use that, instead of ftp.
You still have to find the other end that has its address changed every
day or two.  With email, only one end needs to be connected at any one
time.  email is about the most convenient and easiest way that I know of
to get pictures of little Johnnie to Grandmother in a way that is easy
for her to understand.  Whatever anyone proposes needs to be that easy.
Chances are that Grandma's not a geek like most of us.

Curtis

--
Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis at maurand.com