UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS

Lumenello, Jason jlumenello at xo.com
Wed Mar 3 22:51:35 UTC 2004

I struggled with this, and came up with the following.

We basically use a standard route-map for all customers where the first
term looks for the community. The customer also has a prefix-list on
their neighbor statement allowing their blocks le /32. The following
terms (term 2 and above) in the route-map which do NOT look for the
customer discard community, have a different standard/generic
prefix-list evaluation which blocks cruft and permits 0.0.0.0/0 ge 8 le
24.

By doing this, I only accept a customer /32 from his dedicated
prefix-list when it has the DOS discard community, otherwise I catch
them with the ge 8 le 24 in the following terms.

Jason Lumenello
IP Engineering
XO Communications

Of