UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS

Mark Kasten mark at cw.net
Wed Mar 3 22:45:27 UTC 2004

We still implement exact match prefix filtering, but also generate a
second "aggregated" prefix-list for customers to match more specifics.
If a prefix matches 3561:666 _and_ falls within the DDoS/aggregated
prefix-list, we accept it and blackhole it.  If a customer announces the
more specific without the community, we won't accept it.  (No flame wars
about exact match filtering please).  Yes, that means we maintain two
prefix-lists for each customer.

uRPF is another matter.  We use policies for prefix-lists on Junipers
and prefix-lists on Cisco's, which means that if we want to do strict
uRPF for customers we have to generate a third prefix-list/acl?  <sigh>

Regards,
    Mark Kasten
    C&W^H^H^H^Savvis

.