UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Wed Mar 3 09:32:12 UTC 2004

Hi Paul,

<snip>
> correct. from our pov, it is gone. given that 'solving the problem' is not
> always possible, this is almost as good as it gets in the real world.

Fully agree, and this is basically the way it should be: a customer
shouldn't be concerned about the carrier solving the problem or not, as
long as service isn't interrupted the carrier is doing the job he's
promised to do in his SLA

> we tend to get small ddos (a few hundred megs) that are more of an annoyance
> than anything else, at least before they hit the customer-in-question 's
> faste handoff.

This is a bit more problematic IMHO. A "small DoS" is very
geographically dependent and very "supporting party" dependent: in Ghana
with BT as the only provider running over DS3, a few hundred megs means
the entire network is cut-off for ages :-)
I know this is NANOG and bandwidth is a simple commodity, but even in
our parts of the western world bandwidth can be hard to come by and a
few hundred megs might be a bigger deal to a smaller NSP's network.

> <grin>. in other news, noone has solved the perpetuum mobile problem either.
> as a carrier, your job is to solve the problem for the customer. this
> includes staying up afterwards.

Hehe...sadly this perpetuum mobile keeps on running and running (which
is what it's supposed to do literally :-) but you're completely right:
cutomers should always come first and "hiding" the problem is our only
option at the moment. I'm still waiting for that press-release though
:-)

Regards,

Erik

--
---
Erik Haagsman
> > I haven't seen any major press-releases on actually solving the problem
> > instead of hiding it... (granted...I haven't put out one either :-)

We Dare BV
tel: +31.10.7507008
fax: +31.10.7507005
http://www.we-dare.nl