First Post! Annoying Debate at Work.

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Mar 1 18:40:29 UTC 2004

On Mar 1, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Christopher Aldridge wrote:

>> Please do not take this the wrong way, but I thought it was useful
>> input.  Perhaps not to you, but maybe to those who think that getting
>> their MCSA will teach them all they need to know.

> One who thinks these exam topics cover (as you say" "all they need to
> know", should really investigate this certification.

So we are in agreement.

>> Some of the things you asked were extremely basic.
>
> What "things" were these?

I guess I just consider things like "ethernet adaptors" and "ethernet
converters" basic.  Basic can be good.  But it's still basic.

Also, I probably attributed some of the replies to your original post
in my memory.  Or maybe I just misremembered your post completely.  I
hope you can accept my apology and end the flame war.

In my defense, I did say that you should not take this personally.

>> So I would not take this as an attack on you personally - lots of
>> people answered took the time to answer your questions, asking not
>> even
>
>> a favor in return as payment.
>
> The people who responded helpfully to my post, will receive any help
> and
> assistance in the future from me as a fellow nanog'er; without the
> POINTLESS sarcasm and flaming.

Got it.  'Cause the post to which I am responding is very pointFULL.

And if you are implying that I will not be getting help and assistance
from you (or at least not without sarcasm), well, somehow I'm just not
too worried.

>> I would take it as a note to people with
>> certifications or going for certifications that a cert != clue.
>
> I agree here 100%. However you have also made it very clear that
> no_cert
> != clue.

Really?  Glad we cleared that up, 'cause lots of people were probably
assuming that if you have no certification you were automatically
clued.... :)

Unless, of course, you are implying I have no certifications.  Which
would be a bad assumption.  I have gotten several certifications over
the years, some of which I actually think are useful.  I just do not
have any of the ones you listed.

Of course, then you would also be impling I have no clue.  Many people
might agree with you, but since the first part (no_cert) failed, then
the second part is irrelevant.

>> (Did any of those certs have
>> labs, or just multiple-guess tests?)
>
> Google is your friend.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.asp
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/
> learning_certificati
> on_type_home.html

Thanx, but not worth the effort.  I'm never going to get a CCNA
(definitely) or an MCSA (probably).  Was just curious and didn't want
to wade through multiple web pages.  A couple people told me off-list
and I was happy.

Thanx for the tip, though.  I'll have to remember that "google"
thing.... :)

--
TTFN,
patrick