Possibly yet another MS mail worm

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Mon Mar 1 17:27:08 UTC 2004

<quote who="John Palmer">

> In this case, it is the IDIOIT users. You tell them time and time again
> DONT CLICK ON ATTACHMENTS
> UNLESS SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS SENDING IT AND TELLS YOU IN ADVANCE THEY ARE
> SENDING IT.

Just telling people "Don't do that, it's bad." is sure to fail for the
same reason you can't tell people who wash their clothes in a disease
filled river to just "not wash there."

> The problem is dumb users who DONT LISTEN. This is mostly the office
> crowd.

What makes you think they didn't listen?  Not doing what you say and not
listening are not the same thing.

> The real imbeciles are people operating a broadband connection without a
> license. Letting a computer illeterate, typical beer guzzling, porno
> hunting hick have a computer with a  DSL/cable connection should be a
> capital offense.

I'd hate to think about what you would do to network operators and
companies who fail to filter their egress traffic.  Surely they share no
blame?

> Those are where most of the zombies are located.  When you use words like
> "attachment" and '.exe' with them, their eyes just sort of glaze over.
> "Hey, all I do is point and click and it just works".

And it does "just work" -- do the "mom test" and see.  Why have
attachments if they shouldn't be opened?  *That* would make no sense.

> We need to cleanse the gene pool of these kinds, or at least take away
> their dsl connections.

Some problems are social and some are technical.  These are social
problems that can be mitigated on a large scale by technical means.  The
users need to be educated at some level but the network and system
operators and companies need to be responsible for what is coming and
going from their network.

Back to the mom test, if an email with an attached virus gets to my mom's
Outlook Express client, I place the blame squarely on her mail
administrator (me).

-davidu