First Post! Annoying Debate at Work.

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Mar 1 15:17:25 UTC 2004

On Mar 1, 2004, at 9:02 AM, Christopher Aldridge wrote:

> [...]

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I thought it was useful
input.  Perhaps not to you, but maybe to those who think that getting
their MCSA will teach them all they need to know.

Some of the things you asked were extremely basic.  I've never taken
any of the certifications you list, but I thought they would cover the
basics - especially after 3 of them (from 3 different vendors, I
think?)

All that said, if you don't at least start asking, you will never find
out.  So I would not take this as an attack on you personally - lots of
people answered took the time to answer your questions, asking not even
a favor in return as payment.  I would take it as a note to people with
certifications or going for certifications that a cert != clue.  It's
probably a good place to start if you have no where else to turn, but
just passing the test is not enough.  (Did any of those certs have
labs, or just multiple-guess tests?)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. I kinda expected as much from MS, but it's sad that a cisco cert
doesn't mean much any more. :(