E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Jun 30 21:35:54 UTC 2004

I know Brad Councilman,  This all happened in my back yard.   He ran a
competing ISP with me (www.valinet.com).  Not only was he reading his
customers  e-mail and harvesting Amazon.com orders he also hacked into
4 of the local area ISPs.   I still remember the day I received a call
from the FBI office in Boston.  'Sir, you are not in trouble but we
would like to talk to you about an important matter.  I'll be out
tomorrow, when will you have time?'     He came in with a old copy of
my /etc/passwd file (this was hacked from me back in '95,'96).  I was
happy when the arrested him,  he is a jerk.   The ISP he ran has since
been sold to another company, still local and run as an honest
business.

Sorry for the rant,  I just wish he got more than a slap on the wrist.
They didn't prosecute him on the hacking attempts because the e-mail
theft was a bigger crime.

Grrrrr

-Matt