(UPDATE) Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

James haesu at towardex.com
Wed Jun 30 17:36:49 UTC 2004

As more and more of the "facts" come to light, please do some research before
you accuse an ASN a SpamBone just by looking at spamhaus & Co. lists.

They are a budget-fitting dedicated server + colocation service provider with
over 1500 servers on the network premise. They've lacked certain planning that
was necessary to actively identify and defeat spammers in the initial time. They
did institute plans and remedies to resolve spam issues and they've canned many
number of spam-hosting customers in the recent months -- that's a fact. Most of
their spam-prone customers are from 1-2 years ago, signed up when they've lacked
resources to deal with such an abuse, which since then they've been working on
correcting their problems.

Just how do you clean up your whole 1500-server network to have zero-spammers
overnight? Kick out your customer whenever you see ^H^H^H^Hspamreport sent to
abuse@ without taking any time to investigate the cause and who committed it?
   Remember, most of dedicated server providers (i.e. ThePlanet, ServePath,
Managed.com, ev1servers, etc), have majority of their customer base being
web hosting companies, who also provide end-user services to their own
customers.

I would be quite pissed if I run a dedicated-server based web hosting company
and my provider just shuts off my box after receiving an abuse, without even
giving me a week to identify which one of my hundreds of web site hosted clients
have committed abuse.

Believe me, if Pegasus was active spamming-friendly company, NAC would've kicked
them out the door a long time ago. NAC *does* have full time and responsible
abuse department.

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                        Network Design, Consulting, IT Outsourcing