Non-Portable ip blocks become portable (was - Can a Customer take their IP's with them? )

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jun 30 12:24:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Not an ARIN example but when KPNQwest went out of business, the situation
> was as you desribe and it would have been difficult to everybody to quickly
> renumber so their PA assigned customer ip blocks with assistance of RIPE
> became PI blocks (at least this is how I understood it, people in europe
> can correct me if this is not right). So the precidents do exist, but
> they involve having RIR take over the block.

Europeans have been nitpicking above info to me privately. I'll summarize
what was said to me:

KPNQwest blocks were dealt with differently depending what country this
was for. In some cases, the blocks were converted to PI by RIPE. In some
cases other companies bought KPNQwest operations for particular country
and became responsible LIR. Those LIRs did not mind about other ISPs
announcing parts of those ip blocks separately although RIPE is as of
late been trying to get them to clean up that space and things may change.
Additionally there were some early blocks from KPN to begin with where it
is not entirely clear if they were supposed to have been PI or PA and
those were resolved to PI. Also notable is that former KPN techs and ip
admins after the company was gone, on their own time and without getting
any compensation worked with RIPE to try to resolve the issues as much as
possible and to help their former customers.

Additionally with permission I'm reposting the email on how the issue of
customer with PA space changing ISPs is dealt with:

-----