Non-Portable ip blocks become portable (was - Can a Customer take their IP's with them? )

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jun 30 07:41:55 UTC 2004

On 30-jun-04, at 6:47, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Not an ARIN example but when KPNQwest went out of business, the
> situation
> was as you desribe and it would have been difficult to everybody to
> quickly
> renumber so their PA assigned customer ip blocks with assistance of
> RIPE
> became PI blocks (at least this is how I understood it, people in
> europe
> can correct me if this is not right). So the precidents do exist, but
> they involve having RIR take over the block.

One comment: the moment the KPNQwest network was turned off was a long
time coming. (And a side note: KPNQ customers made some final, fairly
big payments for the express purpose of keeping the network running
(this money was supposed to go to the power company, AFAIK), but the
banks just intercepted this money and kept it. The court didn't think
anything wrong with this.)