Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Simon Lockhart simon.lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 16:53:27 UTC 2004

On Tue Jun 29, 2004 at 12:15:33PM -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:
> From my understanding the customer has  their own IP space allocated by
> ARIN and has had that space for over a year.  They have already had
> adequate time to transition to their own space.  The Internet routing
> table should not suffer due to the laziness of one customer.  I can see
> if NAC kicked the customer off their network the *may* have a case.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of this case, this did flag up
a couple of things that I noticed in the document:

1) They say that they are hindered in their renumbering by not being able
to get a large enough block of addresses from ARIN (I forget the exact
wording). Does this mean that NAC were lax with their IP allocation policy
and let the customer have more addresses than ARIN policies would otherwise
allow? If their new allocation is really the biggest issue, why not just

2) They say they have to write custom software to allow the renumbering. Is
this related to them having to fit into a smaller address block? Otherwise,
I don't see why there's such a big issue about having to write *new* software
because of an IP renumber.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart     |   Tel: +44 (0)1628 407720 (x(01)37720) | Si fractum
Technology Manager |   Fax: +44 (0)1628 407701 (x(01)37701) | non sit, noli