Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Jun 29 16:15:33 UTC 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Brad Passwaters wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:45:40 -0400, Matthew Crocker
> <matthew at crocker.com> wrote:
>>
>> The TRO is irrelevant,  The courts made the wrong decision,  did
>> anyone
>> actually think they would have a clue?
>>
>> Here is the solution:
>
> Perhaps before proposing a solution we should make sure that all the
> facts
> are in evidence.  I might suggest since at least some of the legal
> documents
> are available to you at the url below you take time to read them.
>
> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/nac-case/
>
> Its not clear at all that what the courts are proposing is that the
> customer be
> allowed to keep the addresses forever, just that they have adequate
> time
> for an orderly move.  Its also not clear that NAC won't receive
> comensatation
> for use of their resources.  I think those people who have done
> service provider
> moves realize that without the help of their old service provider
> their life could
> well be hellish.  If the requirements for the lack of IP portability
> are indeed
> purely technical and not some effort to hold onto customers then
> service
> providers have a duty to make almost any reasonable effort to make the
> transition as painless as possible

 From my understanding the customer has  their own IP space allocated by
ARIN and has had that space for over a year.  They have already had
adequate time to transition to their own space.  The Internet routing
table should not suffer due to the laziness of one customer.  I can see
if NAC kicked the customer off their network the *may* have a case.

Maybe CYMRU could add the netblock to their bogon route servers with a
different community.  Then ISPs could choose to black hole as desired.

Black holing is a drastic step but I think decisive action needs to be
taken the Internet at large to protect the routing table.  I know I
would *love* to gain ownership of some of my space I have from Sprint.
I'm too lazy to move out of that space but I do continue to by
bandwidth from Sprint (have been doing so for 10 years now).  If this
holds up,  maybe I'll try and sue Sprint ;)  *this is a joke....  I'm
not that irresponsible to the 'net*