Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jun 29 16:10:36 UTC 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 9:28 AM, Bob Snyder wrote:

> Of course, since you're doing this based on email that NAC sent, who
> has
> been enjoined from "directly or indirectly" preventing the customer
> from
> using their IP space, you may be opening NAC up to further liability.
>
> I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but it needs to be clear that
> you aren't doing this at NAC's request, and even so, the judge may take
> a dim view of NAC's involvement.

NAC had nothing to do with this.  I have a long history in this and
other forums of promoting aggregation, with the notable exception of
multi-homed *TRANSIT CUSTOMERS* announcing routes via BGP.  Suggesting
providers not accept prefixes which violates both my personal views and
standard Internet doctrine is not something Alex told me to do.

In fact, I applaud his discretion for not even mentioning the prefix,
customer, AS, or anything else which would even HINT that he would
violate the court order.  In fact, I have suggested that he not do so
here in this forum, and Alex has posted language from the TRO stating
he is barred from doing so.

IOW: This is simply another _operational_ suggestion to help make the
Internet run more smoothly.

--
TTFN,
patrick