Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Henry Linneweh hrlinneweh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 15:26:25 UTC 2004

Since all NSP's, ISP's, ALEC's, BLEC's and CLEC's
adhere to this accepted behavior and there are more
than 100 I blieve the court would be on the side of
the plaintiff under the 3rd amendment of the
constitution.

It is my understanding that doing otherwise will cause
an administrative nightmare and harm to the standard
numbering system across vast segments of the industry
and would create greater security risks than at
present. It would cause enconomic harm to software
writen specifically towards the current system and
force redistribution of software and or fixes that
could be disruptive for months on end.

Worse case scenario. I think this is a bad precedent,
and poor judgement on the part of the defendent ISP,
for the small number block they have. The long term
potential harm could result in small ISP's not being
able to get number blocks thus making it more
difficult
for small companies to gain better backbone access,
from their Tier 1 host counterparts and could trigger
a potentional shakeout in the industry.

Have A nice day...

-Henry

--- "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve at telecomplete.co.uk>