Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Tue Jun 29 13:28:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:47:42AM -0400, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2004, at 12:44 AM, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
>
> >Of course, if you just happen to uphold INTERNET STANDARDS and only
> >accept routes from where they should originate, I'll buy you a drink
> >at the next NANOG for being a good netizien. :)
>
> P.S. That was a serious offer to any and all ISPs.
>
> Yes, I realize I am opening myself to buying quite a few drinks, but
> that's the point, or at least the hope.  Just let me know you are ...
> uhhh ... "adhering to Internet standards" (in private e-mail) by the
> end of the week to claim your drink. :)

Of course, since you're doing this based on email that NAC sent, who has
been enjoined from "directly or indirectly" preventing the customer from
using their IP space, you may be opening NAC up to further liability.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but it needs to be clear that
you aren't doing this at NAC's request, and even so, the judge may take
a dim view of NAC's involvement.

Bob