BGP list of phishing sites?

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jun 28 19:04:59 UTC 2004

On Jun 28, 2004, at 2:43 PM, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I worry that this cure is worse than the disease.
>> Filtering IP addresses are not the right way to attack these sites -
>> the move too quickly and there is too much danger of collateral
>> damage.
>
> I think part of the point of this blacklist is similar to other
> blacklists. It makes providers remove their head from their ass and
> actually start cleaning up their networks.
>
> When a provider hosts a phishing site for _weeks on end_ and does
> _nothing_ despite being notified repeatedly, sometimes a blacklist is
> the
> only cluebat strong enough to get through the provider's thick skull.

If the blacklist is only for sites which are weeks, or even a couple
days old, that probably would remove most of the objections.  (I
_think_ - I have not considered all the ramifications, but it sounds
like a plausible compromise.)

Unfortunately, that type of blacklist wouldn't stop 99% of the phishing
scams in operation.

--
TTFN,
patrick