Can a customer take IP's with them?

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Fri Jun 25 19:29:20 UTC 2004

> Only one customer?  There are a couple "consulting" firms in
> particular around here that use arbitrary space on internal
> networks.  Sometimes a currently-dark IP block is configured, so
> "it works for us".  It gets annoying after a while.

The worst one I've seen so far is Ticketmaster... last month.  If you want to
sell tickets through them and connect via the network, they require you to
have a private, backend connection to them and then require you to route
29.2.0.0/15, 29.4.0.0/15, and 29.6.0.0/16 via that connection.  I could be
wrong, but somehow, I don't think that they are also known as or have received
addresses from:

	OrgName:    DoD Network Information Center
	OrgID:      DNIC
	Address:    7990 Science Applications Ct
	Address:    M/S CV 50
	City:       Vienna
	StateProv:  VA
	PostalCode: 22183-7000
	Country:    US
	NetRange:   29.0.0.0 - 29.255.255.255
	CIDR:       29.0.0.0/8
	NetName:    MILX25-TEMP
	NetHandle:  NET-29-0-0-0-1
	Parent:
	NetType:    Direct Allocation
	Comment:    Defense Information Systems Agency
	Comment:    Washington, DC 20305-2000 US
	RegDate:
	Updated:    2002-10-07

The argument of "what if one of the DoD research groups on campus is trying to
connect to this space for classified work?" didn't work... especially given
that the blocks aren't in our BGP tables.  Alas, my protests failed against
the might of our self-funding sports program.

Eric :)