Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Fri Jun 25 10:10:33 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace at attglobal.net>
To: "Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith at qwest.com>
Cc: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 6:22 PM
Subject: RE: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:39:26 -0600, Smith, Donald wrote:
>
> >I am not a lawyer. I am not aware of the law that requires uunet to
> >go to court to prevent spammers who are not their direct customers from using
> their network.
>

> Doctrine of attractive nuisance

When I worked for IBM back in the '60s, on many occasions during my 7 years there I heard
upper management say that they were proud to be with a company that tried to be a "Good Corporate Citizen ".
One branch manager had a cube on his desk which had printed on each side the(ir) manifesto of Corporate Social Responsibility.

>From the AOL theft article:
 "The revelations come as AOL and other Internet providers have ramped up their efforts to track down the purveyors of spam, which
has grown into a maddening scourge that costs consumers and businesses billions of dollars a year."

Perhaps those Corporate Citizens who can do something to ensure the viability of E-mail, should.

--Michael